Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Aunt Sybil's Corn Casserole

As you may or may not know, I'm going to Europe over Thanksgiving, so I'll be missing all the traditional fixins' this year (because, as shocking as it is to us self-centered Americans, they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe). I could really take or leave the turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato mush. And thank god my family doesn't make that green bean crap. I make enough homemade mashed potatoes during the year that I never crave those. But, one thing I CANNOT live without on any holiday (including Easter sometimes in our family) is corn casserole. My darling Aunt Sybil started making this for us when my brother and I were really young, and Jamers just LOVED it. She has since passed, so now he usually makes it at holidays. Since I'm missing Thanksgiving this year, I wanted to make a whole feast, but decided against it (partially because my roommate is morally opposed to eating meat attached to bones.. weird, I know), but I still wanted to make corn casserole because it's easy and so so yummy and it'll be JUST enough Thanksgiving food to get me through to Christmas!

Aunt Sybil's Corn Casserole
1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter, melted
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole corn, drained

Mix everything together, pour into casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the middle is set. Last night, mine took over an hour to bake. I baked mine in a 8" cake pan (we are sadly short on casserole dishes at the "penthouse," housewarming gift anyone??) so it was a little thicker than usual, I think that's why it took so long. So if you bake it in a larger pan where the batter is thinner, check on it because it will cook faster (maybe even faster than 45 minutes). You can also easily double this recipe and bake in a 9" x 12".
I just ate this by itself last night (literally 1/3 of the pan and then I felt sick haha), but it's a super easy, Southern side dish that goes with almost anything. It'd be REALLY good with BBQ!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment