Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Happy Hour: Margaritas!

So, every Friday I'm going to try to put a cocktail recipe for everyone out there that's trying to save some money and skipping happy hour out at a bar. Honestly, sometimes I think it's better to just chill out at home, rather than fighting the crowds in a packed bar. Plus, a while back, my dear friend Brett gave me this amazing cocktail set, and I just have to use it!

This week, I decided to make some margaritas (Ryan's fave). Last weekend we had margaritas made with margarita mix, and I wasn't a huge fan. So today, I made the sour mix from scratch and threw together a delicious margarita!

Sour Mix Recipe:
1 cup simple syrup
1 cup lemon juice

Mix & chill.

Some tips on juicing lemon or limes. To ensure that your lemon is as juicy as possible, roll firmly on counter before cutting.

I bought a Williams Sonoma Lemon & Lime Juicer and it's probably one of the best cooking investments I've made. It's super useful, not only for drinks, but for any recipe that calls for juice. I even made orange juice with it a few weeks ago--I just had to cut the oranges into quarters so that they fit in the juicer.

Simple Syrup:
Equal parts of water and sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. Let cool.

Easy enough, right??

Margaritas:
1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur)
squeeze of lime juice
3 oz sour mix


Mix all in a cocktail shaker with ice.

Pour over ice in a salt-rimmed glass.

Garnish with a lime wedge and voila! Homemade and DELICIOUS margaritas:)

Happy Friday!!

--Please let me know if there's any specific recipes you want me to try or write about on my blog--I'm totally open to suggestions and requests, plus you'll get a shout-out on my blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment