Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tomato & Cucumber Salad

Do you ever have the craving for a simple, healthy salad to go with dinner? No store-bought dressings filled with chemicals and junk. You don't even need lettuce. Just fresh vegetables, oil and vinegar.


First cut up the veggies - I make this salad with tomatoes and cucumbers. Sometimes I add in a little bit of onion. But you can make it with whatever vegetables are your favorite or that you have on hand. For one serving, I usually have 1/2 a tomato and 1/2 a cucumber. I slice the tomatoes, then cut the slices crosswise and lengthwise so you have cubes.

Next, the cucumbers. Peel and quarter lengthwise, so you have 4 long quarters. Slice each quarter into smaller pieces--about the same size as the tomatoes.

Add both to a salad bowl and mix.

For the dressing, it's super simple: salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar. I love rice wine vinegar, and use it liberally, but you can use whichever you like. Rice wine vinegar has a really mild taste, and you can get it at Publix. It's one of my "kitchen staples," and I really do suggest you try it. If you hate it, give it to me and I'll finish it off for you!

I use a good bit of salt and pepper. And a few tablespoons of vinegar, then a splash of olive oil.

Mix everything together, and you got a 5-minute healthy salad to add to any meal. I eat this one with a spoon and put extra vinegar, then slurp the extra once I'm done with the veggies, that's how much I love this salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment