Monday, June 21, 2010

Chicken Skewers

I realize I've been delinquent in my blog posting, but Jane B (my mom) just isn't into adventurous eating, so we basically eat the same thing all the time. Which, unfortunately, doesn't really allow me any adventuresome cooking for this blog. But I did make some chicken skewers I found in People Magazine the other day. So, for today, you guys are lucky!

Chicken Skewers
1/3 cup molasses (I thought they turned out too molasses-y, so I would use less)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used Sriracha, but I'm guessing you can use regular hot sauce, or the recipe called for 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped. Also, these didn't turn out as spicy as I like, so add a little more if you like a little spice in your life!)
3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (I used thighs, cuz I had them, but use whatever you have on hand)
wooden skewers (my 4 chicken thighs made about 20 skewers)

Mix everything but the chicken and skewers to make a marinade. Cut the chicken into strips, and place in marinade for a few hours.

After marinating, preheat over to 425 F (or I bet these would be super yummy grilled! But if you grill them, make sure to soak the skewers in water for an hour before). Thread the chicken strips onto the skewers, and place on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet (with sides). After making these once, I'd definitely put them on a rack on the baking sheet, so they get crispier. In the mean time, boil the remaining marinade for at least 3 minutes. I boiled mine for 3 minutes, but if I was making them again, I'd let it boil down until it got a little syrupy, so it makes a better basting sauce. Cook the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn over and baste using the marinade you boiled. Bake another 5 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Let cool before eating. (I tried to eat one fresh from the oven and my mouth regretted it.)

Ok, so I have another confession to make. In addition to my shameful addition to Kraft Mac'n'Cheese, I really like Rice-A-Roni. So I bought some at the store and made it while these were cooking. It was REAL yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment