Thursday, May 9, 2013

Painted Wine Glasses

Lately I've been so into crafting! Ever since I decorated those wine glasses for Relay for Life, I wanted to make some more. Plus, my godmother asked me to make her a new glass. So, I did a little online research to find out how to "cure"the glasses to make the paint stay on longer. There's no definitive answers online that I found, so we'll see how the system I used works out. I went to Joanne's and wandered in the paint/marker aisle and just kind of went with what I felt. I got two Sharpie paint markers and bought some stemless wine glasses from Target. I'm having a few people over for Mother's Day, so I wanted to make each of us a glass.

First, I decorated each glass with the Sharpie paint marker:

Then, according to one online instruction I found, I put all 4 glasses on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and put into a cold oven:

I turned on the over to preheat to 350, then once it was at 350, I let it "cook" for 20 minutes. Then I turned the oven off and let the glasses sit in the oven until they were completely cold. Then I took them out and VOILA!

They turned out super cute! I'll let yall know if they stand up to washing after Sunday!

Happy Mother's Day!
xoxo,
Janie from Scratch

**UPDATE: So far, so good. I used my glass last night and hand-washed it and the paint seems to be staying put. I even tried scratching a little with my nail and nothing came off! Also, I made a real cocktail in my glass, so there was a lot of condensation on the outside and still the paint stayed.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to be doing this to my wine glasses tonight. Any update on the condition of them now that it's been several months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delayed response Robin! I've been using them since May, and the pink paint has TOTALLY held up. But the black has started to chip. I'm not sure exactly why the pink is staying and the black hasn't.. but there you go!

    ReplyDelete