Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Bacon Jam

Last time, I told you about the $9 Crock Pot my AWESOME coworker got me from Black Friday. I needed to christen it and what better way than with a batch of delicious Bacon Jam?! I first heard of this from my friend Flossie who loves bacon just as much as I do.

Now, I know what you're thinking... bacon jam... EW! But, take my word for it, it is AMAZING. It will change your life for the better, nay, the best. I brought a jar to work today for everyone to try and it got RAVE reviews! My officemate and I thought of ways to use it: on sliders, on biscuits or egg mcmuffins, as a "sauce" on a thin-crust pizza with onions, with baked brie instead of fruit jam. The list is truly endless. And, of course, it's SUPER easy. :)

Martha Stewart's Bacon Jam
1 1/2 lbs bacon, cut crosswise into 1" pieces
2 white onions, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup coffee
1/4 cup maple syrup (please don't cheat and use Aunt Jemima!)
1/2 cup brown sugar

In a large skillet, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the edges are just starting to brown.
Remove with a slotted spoon to the slow cooker. Add the chopped onions to the fat (Martha says to remove most of the fat first, but I refuse... fat=flavor) and cook until translucent.
Pour into slow cooker with bacon. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine.
Cook for 3-4 hours on high with the lid OFF, until liquid is syrupy. Your house will smell amazing, as an aside.
Pour mixture into a blender or food processor, and blend/process until mixture is chunky, but not totally smooth.
 (As a reminder, if you blend hot liquids, leave the little middle lid off, and cover the hole with a dish towel to prevent blender explosions!)
Mmmm looks good!
Pour mixture into canning jars (I don't usually do the whole canning-jar boiling-water process because I put this right into the fridge, but you can if you want). Refrigerate until firm (the mixture will be runny when warm, but firm up in the fridge).
Then share with only your nearest and dearest!

Happy holidays lovies!
xoxox,
Janie from Scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment