Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oven Beer Can Chicken


I've been hearing about beer can chicken for awhile (or has Brett informed me that Paula calls it: Beer in the Rear Chicken). So Ryan and I had a whole chicken in the freezer, and I was ready for an adventure! This is literally the easiest recipe for a whole chicken, and it's totally yummy!

I had to defrost my chicken, which took a few days in the fridge. Then wash and pat dry your chicken. Before washing your chicken, set yourself up for success. Get your cutting board and LOTS of paper towels ready, so you don't have to go around touching everything with your chickeny hands.

Next, make the rub. I've made a LOT of spice mixes in my day (everyone on my Christmas list this past year got a spice mix), and this is the BEST one I've tasted. It's sweet, spicy, salty, all in one.

Beer Can Chicken Rub
2 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Mix together. You can store this in a airtight container and use it again, I know I will!

Next, it's time to rub your meat. For this, I used one hand to rub, and one hand to sprinkle the mix. Put the mix all over the inside and outside of the chicken. You can be super generous so the skin tastes super yummy when it comes out.

Now, it's time for the beer. Get a can of beer. I wasn't sure exactly what kind of beer to use, and the website didn't specify, so I got some Bud heavy. Open the can and drink half of it. (Okay, so I couldn't stomach half a can of Bud heavy, but if you can, drink it. I just poured it down the drain!) I'm guessing if you got a different kind of beer, the chicken might taste different. Poke extra holes in the top of the beer can with a bottle opener, and put a few tablespoons of rub in the can.

Next, you want to put your chicken on the beer. Get a roasting pan, and set the beer in it. Grab your chicken and put the chicken, butt-sized down, onto the beer. The little legs should be facing down.

(Isn't that a cute little chicken?)

Bake at 350F for about 2 hours. Mine only took an hour and a half, because it was a bit smaller. But in order to avoid overcooking, check the temperature after about 75 minutes, and judge how much longer it needs to cook. Once the temperature reaches 165, take it out and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

Carve up your chicken and serve! (The skin is the best part of this recipe!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment