Tuesday, July 17, 2012

APOLOGIES!! & A Yummy Salad

First, let me start by saying I am truly and deeply sorry I've been supremely lax about this blog. In the past few months, I moved to Ft Lauderdale, have gotten settled and into a routine, so hopefully now I can start a. cooking more (eating out is expensive and BAD for you!) and b. writing this blog again!

My favorite salad of all time is tomato & cucumber salad. Basically chopped tomatoes and cukes with olive oil and rice wine vinegar. Well, lately, I've been getting SUPER into pinterest, and found this little gem of a salad the other day that I wanted to make. I made it (semi-according to the recipe) and it was delicious. This morning as I was making lunch, I had an extra cucumber but no tomato, so I decided to whip it up again. I started to cut up an apple for a snack, but thought that it might be tasty to add it to the mix, and it turned out AMAZING. (Confession, I sorta liked the apple more than the cucumber part of this salad.)

Sweet & Spicy Cucumber Salad
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 apple, thinly sliced
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp white sugar
red pepper flakes to taste (I added a bit too many, oops, spicy!)
salt & pepper to taste

Start by slicing up all the veggies. My cucumbers were a little fat, next time I'll slice them thinner. The red onion I sliced very thin and it turned out great. I hate raw onions, but these were a little pickled and super yummy. The original recipe says to salt and drain the cucumbers for an hour, I did this, but I'm pretty sure you could skip it. Mix the water, vinegar, sugar, red pepper, salt & pepper in a bowl. The sugar should dissolve after a few mixes. Add in the veggies and let sit for a few hours in the fridge (if you can wait that long!). I made this at 7:30 this morning and ate it as a morning snack and it was perfect.

ENJOY!
(Sorry for the tupperware and questionable picture quality, I clearly didn't think this through fully this morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment