Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Confessions of a Recipe Hoarder

My Name is Janie, and I Hoard Recipes.

Every month, I get these amazing magazines (Bon Appetit thanks to Coke Rewards, Food & Wine thanks to some spare Delta Airline points, Real Simple thanks to an impulse purchase at Publix and Everyday Food thanks to one Miss Flossie Gillen) and every month I religiously go through them and tear out recipes I want to try. I missed a couple months and took like 5 Bon Appetits to Germany with me and went through all of them while I was there and tore out a ton of recipes. (This doesn't even begin to count all the recipes I get from the email subscriptions to all these magazines too.)

I have a wonderful recipe binder from William Sonoma. And it's neatly divided into sections like Appetizers, Soups & Salads, Breads, you get the idea. And in each section I have all my favorite recipes on cards neatly organized. And then I have a plastic sleeve with all my hoarded recipes staring me in the face every time I turn to that section. Problem is, I hardly EVER get around to trying them! Mostly because once I find something I like, I want to make it again and again because it tastes so good when it hits your lips, which leaves little time to try new things. I'm also like this at restaurants. So when I try, and like, a new recipe, I move it from the big plastic sleeve, to a recipe card sleeve. I've gotten too lazy to transcribe them all onto fancy cards, so I just stick the cut out in the sleeve.

Since the arrival of pinterest on the scene, my recipe hoarding has gone digital... and gotten worse. Now daily I can scour the pages of pinterest, find and pin recipes that look amazing, but I will likely never make. I have a board for savory recipes, for sweets, for drinks, for healthy food, even for holiday recipes! HELP! I'm pin-ddicted!

However, now that I'm all settled in Ft Lauderdale and my roommate and new coworkers are ready to EAT, I need to get to cooking, and pronto! My piles aren't getting any shorter! My goal is to try one pinterest recipe a week and one "real" recipe a week. Let's see how we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment