Sunday, January 12, 2014

Brunch at Home -- Polenta with Salmon & Fried Egg

HAPPY 2014 my darlings!! 2013 was a very tumultuous year, I am glad it's over. I am proud to say I have a new job. I love going to work every day, which is a nice change of pace. I'm living back at home with Jane B, and it's so nice to be home and centered and stable. I've dedicated 2014 to focusing on myself, being happy, being loving, being grateful, being peaceful, being healthy and moving forward with my life. That being said, I hope y'all find happiness in 2014 too!

I live for Sunday Brunch. Like LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But this year, I'm trying to be more healthful, less boozing (a staple at brunch, let's be real), less eating out, saving some money. I don't know if you've heard, but I have a big race to prep for in September... THE BERLIN MARATHON!!! I am so psyched I can hardly contain myself. Unfortunately, my left knee has been bothering me for a few months and now that I finally have insurance again (it's great to have a full-time job! whoop!), I finally went to the ortho. He said I have patellar tendinitis, so I am unable to run, jump, squat, lunge, basically anything I do on a regular basis, for a few weeks. It bums me out, especially since I love running just to clear my mind. 

So this weekend, I wanted to recreate one of my favorite brunch meals from Dexter's in Orlando -- Mahi-Mahi with grits & a fried egg. My mom defrosted a piece of salmon for dinner Friday that I didn't eat, so I used that instead of mahi-mahi. We didn't have any grits (WTF Jane B??), but we did have corn meal, so I made polenta. And then a fried egg is a fried egg! My polenta turned out lumpy, I was so disappointed, especially since I whisked and whisked and whisked. I'll have to try it again. But the flavor was really yummy. The recipe on the back added in Italian seasoning, so I put that on the salmon as well. It turned out delicious!! 

Happy new year yall :)
xoxo,
janie from scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment