Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mac'n'Cheese

Yesterday I had a craving for homemade mac'n'cheese. Now, don't get me wrong--I LOVE the Kraft mac'n'cheese from the box. But sometimes, whipping up some homemade mac'n'cheese really hits the spot. And it's super easy. Claire, I better hear that you made this for Eden!!

Mac'n'Cheese
3/4 box macaroni
2 1/4 cup milk/cream (use whatever you have, but the more cream you use, the richer it will be, I think I used about 3/4 cup cream, and the rest milk)
2 teaspoons flour
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper

For the cheeses, just use whatever you have on hand. The ingredients I listed were actually what I had on hand, and turned out to be a good combo, but if you want to mix it up, feel free. Just be careful with stronger cheeses (blue cheese, etc), because those will overpower your dish if you use too much. I think if I were going to use blue cheese, I would probably just use it in the topping, rather than in the mixture too.

Topping:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Boil the macaroni in salted water. Take out and drain when they are still firm to the bite.

In the mean time, whisk the milk/cream, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the cheeses. Mix in the pasta after it's finished cooking. Pour mixture into large greased baking dish. You probably need a deep 9"x9" pan. I used, of course, a Le Creuset baking dish.

For the topping, mix the ingredients together. You should have a thick but crumbly mixture. Add more breadcrumbs if it isn't crumbly enough. Crumble over your pasta mixture.

Bake for 20-30 minutes at 400F, or until the top is browned and crispy and the liquid is bubbly. If your pan is very full, you may want to place the baking dish on a aluminum foil-lined half-sheet pan (with sides) just in case it spills over in the oven, you won't have a big milky mess at the bottom.

There's no picture with this one either because this was so good that Ryan and I gobbled this up before I could photograph it! This is also very good reheated in the microwave for breakfast the next morning! ;) Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely delish! MMM.... I'll have to try that for Steven. He's my big mac and cheese lover!

    ReplyDelete